Star Gazing Farm was started in 2002 as a farm animal sanctuary. Located on 4 acres of rolling hills in Western Montgomery County, Maryland, Star Gazing Farm takes in abused, stray, and unwanted farm animals in need and provides them with a permanent home. Farm animals are every bit as affectionate, interesting, and in need of loving care as other domestic animals and there is a real need in our community for more compassionate farm animal care.
Star Gazing Farm is a 501(c)3 organization, and all donations are tax deductible in accordance with the law.
What do we do?
Sanctuary and Animal Rescue
- We provide permanent sanctuary to abused, stray, and unwanted farm animals.
- We coordinate networking amongst small farmers, sanctuaries, and animal control agencies in the mid-Atlantic region to place abused, stray, and unwanted farm animals in responsible farm homes.
- We teach children and young adults humane care of farm animals and help them build physical and moral strength through actual hands-on farm work.
- We offer hands-on classes and demonstrations of the humane care of sheep and how to shear, wash, card, and spin the wool they grow.
- We invite people from this largely urban and suburban community to visit and volunteer at the farm, to befriend the sanctuary’s residents, and to develop greater compassion for farm animals.